Collection of all the stuff I use, will update as often as I can.
Keep in mind the following:
- These are things I use, it doesn’t mean it will be good for everyone. Do your own homework first to see if any of these items will work for you.
- I don’t make purchases until I have researched how it will help me in my workflow. If you ever want recommendations for something, reach out to me.
- This page uses affiliate links.
- Everything mentioned in this list, I have paid for myself. I have yet to ever receive a freebie to test something.
Computer & Data Management Setup
My main computer is a notebook, it’s the 15-inch Mid-2014 MacBook Pro with Retina Display. It’s currently in clamshell mode using BookArc by TwelveSouth and hooked up to a 27” external monitor (Dell P2715Q). I have used several different keyboards over the years, but so far the Logitech K750 has been the best for me, along with the Apple Magic Mouse.
I have an Anker USB Hub underneath my desk with velcro and this has two portable Western Digital 4TB drives connected to it. One drive runs daily Time Machine backups, while the other drive makes a nightly copy of my entire system using Carbon Copy Cloner.
I also have a Synology DS1513+ being used as the home server, it houses our family documents, projects, photos, music, movies, shows, etc. Our own personal dropbox at home.
All of this mentioned so far, plus my wife’s MacBook Pro are all backed up to two locations. The first location is Backblaze and the second location is Wasabi. This past year, I redid my home network (previously running with a Netgear Nighthawk X6) and now I have the Unifi System.
- Macbook Pro 15”
- Dell P2715Q
- Logitech K750 keyboard
- Apple Magic Mouse
- Anker USB Hub
- BookArc by TwelveSouth
- Western Digital 4TB Passport
- Carbon Copy Cloner
- Synology DS1513+
- Netgear Nighthawk X
For the last few years, I have been using an iPhone 7 Plus, just recently upgraded this past September to the iPhone 11 Pro Max. Such a big difference! Heavily enjoy my new phone.
When I am not at home or when I am tired of being in the office, I use an iPad Pro 12.9” (3rd Generation) with the iPad Pro Smart Keyboard Cover and Apple Pencil Generation 2. I have been able to complete almost 90% of my tasks using just these items only. There might be complaints by some users but really you just need the right apps to get everything done. It’s a different mindset.
- iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPad Pro 12.9” (Gen 3)
- iPad Pro Folio Smart Keyboard Cover
- Apple Pencil Gen 2
This year (2020) I am committed to creating podcasts for Anaphora Radio. I have a home setup and an on the road setup. For recording at home, I use the following:
- A Shure SM58 XLR microphone which is on the Rode PSA1 Pro Studio Arm. (I have the Shure SM7B on my Amazon Wish list)
- The microphone is plugged into a Rolls mute switch, then into the Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 audio interface.
- A good quality pair of headphones is required and after many reviews I went with the Audio-Technica ATH-M50x Closed-Back Headphones.
A note about this setup, it works for me. It may not work for you. If you are interested in podcasting and want to stay on a strict budget, feel free to contact me. Another option check out is a post by Jason Snell on Six Colors, he put together a nice list for under $100.
Initially, I was planning on recording in Adobe Audition, however after inquiring with several podcasters on their workflows, I am going to be recording using Audio Hijack. It is a great piece of software that is customizable to my recording needs. I will be editing the audio in Adobe Audition.
With the commitment to record podcasts this year, I am also make plans to record podcasts with guests when I am not at home. Here is the mobile gear that will be used:
- Again, can’t go wrong with the Shure SM58 XLR microphone. I have a few of these depending on how many people will be with me. It can take a beating and keep on going!
- All the microphones are plugged into the Zoom H6 which handles all the recording straight to the SD card. In the future, I would like to upgrade to the Sound Devices MixPre-6 which can BOTH record and send out audio. This would be ideal in creating a 2nd backup recording session.
I have been an avid gamer for years owning almost every possible system that I can. Earliest days for me were the Commodore 64 and the Atari 2600. Today, I mainly use the following machines (until the next big thing comes out)
- Nintendo Switch – I enjoy playing Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Link’s Awakening, Super Smash Bros. and Luigi’s Mansion 3. With my family, we love to play Mario Party, Mario Kart, and Tetris!
- PS4 – Not enough to say about this great system. Too many games to mention. Looking forward to the PS5 next year.